Thursday, October 24, 2013

Crockpot Spicy Cabbage Soup


Cabbage soup. I had never attempted to make cabbage soup. I had never eaten cabbage soup. But, this morning cabbage soup sounded like a great idea. I put the following ingredients into the crockpot...

1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
1 can of crushed tomatoes with green pepper, onion and celery 
3 cups beef broth 
1 cup matchstick carrots
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp Mrs. Dash table blend seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook on low for 6-8 hours and then brown 1 pack of chopped smoked turkey sausage and 1/2 cup of chopped onions in a skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil and add it to the crockpot as well and let simmer for another 15-30 minutes. I could only hope that these 12 ingredients would come together and produce cabbage soup at the end of the day. 

Well, I'm happy to report that this was a major success! Probably right up there in my top 3-5 favorite recipes. It's perfect for a cold fall or winter day and it's minimal effort to create a delicious meal. Enjoy! 



Pin it

No comments:

Post a Comment