Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Quesadillas


When I tossed some frozen chicken, a can of green chiles and tomatoes and enchilada sauce in my crockpot this morning, I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it. I came and checked on it a few hours later and decided that it was going to need a thickening agent so I added a package of low-fat cream cheese. I seasoned it with some cumin, salt and pepper and brainstormed a little more. By the time I shredded the chicken and got the final product, I knew quesadillas were the answer! 

4-5 frozen chicken tenders
1 can green chiles and tomatoes
1 can enchilada sauce 
1 package (8 oz) of low fat cream cheese
1 tbsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Whole wheat tortillas
Olive oil
Mild cheddar cheese, shredded
JalapeƱo (optional)

Place chicken tenders in your crock pot and cover with enchilada sauce, green chiles and tomatoes. Cook on low for 4 hours. Shred the chicken, add a package of cream cheese, cumin and salt and pepper and turn your crockpot to the warmer. Let the cream cheese melt and thicken. 

Brush olive oil on one side of the tortilla and place in a greased skillet, oil side down. Put a layer of cheese and a layer of chicken mixture. Add jalepeno if you would like. Put another lay of cheese down and then add a tortilla to the top that's been brushed with olive oil. Olive oil side should be facing up now. (Hey, there might be someone out there that doesn't know these things!) Fry on medium heat until golden brown and then carefully flip over to the other side. Fry this side until golden brown and then you're ready to go! Cut it up into triangles with a pizza cutter and enjoy a simple, delicious meal. I made two quesadillas and have leftovers to make about 2-3 more so take the number of people you're serving into consideration when preparing. 


Pin it

No comments:

Post a Comment