Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mardi Gras Fried Cabbage


I dubbed this dish Mardis Gras Fried Cabbage because the bright colors make it look like a party in a pan. I liked using the red cabbage instead of the regular green cabbage because it didn't wilt completely so there was still some crunch to each bite. It made for a more enjoyable texture in my opinion. 

You'll need:
1 package smoked turkey sausage, chopped
1/2 red cabbage, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
4-5 baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp fat (can be oil, bacon grease, lard...it's up to you!)
2 tbsp Nature's Seasons (seasoning)
Salt and Pepper to taste 

Melt your fat source in a skillet (I used cast iron) and then add your cabbage, onion, mushroom and garlic to sauté. In another skillet brown your sausage. After the veggies have fried for about 25-30 minutes, season them and add the sausage to the skillet and cook together for another 5-10 minutes. 

This turned out to be surprisingly filling and delicious. It was my first experience with fried cabbage and definitely won't be my last. Enjoy! 
Pin it

No comments:

Post a Comment