Sunday, November 24, 2013

Banana Sponge Cake with White Chocolate Glaze


I'm not sure there's a photo that could do this cake justice but just take my word for it...you will never have a spongier, moister cake than this. Think the texture of a Twinkie but better! Once again I had some old bananas that needed used up and I didn't necessarily want to make banana bread again so I started looking for other recipes. I kept running across banana sponge cakes but the recipes were either in a foreign language or needed to be converted from the metric system. I was intrigued though so I decided to try my best to convert the recipe although math is something I should never be trusted with. But, it worked! And the result is this amazing creation that makes me say, "banana bread who?" Preheat your oven to 325 and prepare to be wowed...

3 very ripe bananas
3 eggs 
1/8 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda 
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1 cup sugar 
1 cup bread flour (this may be the secret so I wouldn't substitute this for wheat, all purpose, etc.)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips 
1 tbsp almond milk (could use regular milk, I'm sure) 

Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together in a small mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine banana, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix it until it's a thick, liquid consistency. Fold in the flour mixture and blend together very well. Last, add the vegetable oil. Pour into a well greased glass baking dish. Cook for 40-45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. In a small microwave safe dish microwave the white chocolate chips and almond milk until melted. Stir it up and pour it onto the banana cake. Stick it back in the oven for about two minutes to re-melt the chocolate because it hardens up fast. When you pull it out, smooth the glaze around the cake with a spatula. Let it cool for about 10 minutes, then slice and enjoy! 



Pin it

No comments:

Post a Comment